The Bat! 8.5.8.3 (ALPHA)
Maxim Masiutin
2018-08-07 15:08:05 UTC
Hello All!

The Bat! 8.5.8.3 (ALPHA) is available at
https://www.ritlabs.com/download/files3/the_bat/beta/tb8583-32.rar
https://www.ritlabs.com/download/files3/the_bat/beta/tb8583-64.rar

What's new in 8.5.8.3 since 8.5.8.2:
[-] 0001512: Long headers do not fit on the header pane (Russian)
[-] 0001513: Truncated option in header properites (Russian translation)
[-] 0001508: Inserting symbols via ASCII codes is broken in the HTML editor
[-] 0001505: Wrong encoding of two Polish characters
[-] 0001499: Ctrl+Shift+Alt+L doesn't restore account and common folders
[-] 0001515: System's HTML viewer displays the HTML-code instead of the message
[-] 0001514: Truncated options in virtual folder's properties
[-] 0001504: Error message "The system cannot find the file specified" while double-clicking in "Subject:" on the header pane
[-] 0001509: Extra empty line in "Memo" while creating a new contact
[-] 0001503: Shift+Ctrl+V inserts a word with the cursor in the middle of it
[-] 0001516: Incorrect selection of emails after a drag-and-drop move operation
[-] 0001450: CTRL-W broken
[-] 0001497: Irrelevant flagging of messages while expanding message list threads
[-] The Find Lost Folder command didn't work properly since The Bat! version 8.2.4.1 released on January 25, 2018
--
Best regards,
Maxim Masiutin

Marck Pearlstone
2018-08-07 15:22:05 UTC
On 07 August 2018 at 16:08 Maxim Masiutin wrote and made these points

MM> The Bat! 8.5.8.3 (ALPHA) is available at
MM> https://www.ritlabs.com/download/files3/the_bat/beta/tb8583-32.rar
MM> https://www.ritlabs.com/download/files3/the_bat/beta/tb8583-64.rar

... <snip>

U&R
--
Cheers -- Marck D Pearlstone -- List moderator and fellow end user
TB! v8.5.8.3 (ALPHA) on Windows 10.0.17134
MAU
2018-08-07 15:43:28 UTC
Hello Marck,
Post by Marck Pearlstone
On 07 August 2018 at 16:08 Maxim Masiutin wrote and made these points
MM>> The Bat! 8.5.8.3 (ALPHA) is available at
MM>> https://www.ritlabs.com/download/files3/the_bat/beta/tb8583-32.rar
MM>> https://www.ritlabs.com/download/files3/the_bat/beta/tb8583-64.rar

Any idea why I have not received Maxim's message? I have looked in
Gmail's spam folder and it is not there.

Thanks.
--
Best regards,

Miguel A. Urech (Els Poblets (Alicante - Spain)
Using The Bat! Version 8.5.8 (64-bit) on Windows 10.0

Marck Pearlstone
2018-08-07 16:07:11 UTC
MM>>> https://www.ritlabs.com/download/files3/the_bat/beta/tb8583-32.rar
MM>>> https://www.ritlabs.com/download/files3/the_bat/beta/tb8583-64.rar

M> Any idea why I have not received Maxim's message? I have looked in
M> Gmail's spam folder and it is not there.

Could it be that you are one of the recipients affected by the
addressing issues that we tried to combat with the change to the list
configuration?

Max's messages include a DKIM signature, which effectively marks list
traffic as spam, since the sending domain fails to match the domain
certified in the DKIM signature.

Hmmmm.... this makes me think that if we can get the list server to
strip the DKIM header, the issue would be resolved without
compromising the configuration of the list...
Lüko Willms
2018-08-07 16:58:30 UTC
Guten Tag, Marck Pearlstone,
Post by Marck Pearlstone
Max's messages include a DKIM signature, which effectively marks list
traffic as spam, since the sending domain fails to match the domain
certified in the DKIM signature.
Hmmmm.... this makes me think that if we can get the list server to
strip the DKIM header, the issue would be resolved without
compromising the configuration of the list...
My Web and Mail provider has told me that the solution for Gmail is not DKIM, but SPF.

My correspondent in the USA who did not get my mails after having moved to Google Mail, put my address in his White List, and I got SPF for may domains.

After that it worked like charm.
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Lüko Willms
mailto:***@luekowillms.de
Marck Pearlstone
2018-08-07 17:00:27 UTC
On 07 August 2018 at 17:58 Lüko Willms wrote and made these points

... <snip>
Post by Marck Pearlstone
Hmmmm.... this makes me think that if we can get the list server to
strip the DKIM header, the issue would be resolved without
compromising the configuration of the list...
LW> My Web and Mail provider has told me that the solution for Gmail is not DKIM, but SPF.
LW>
LW> My correspondent in the USA who did not get my mails after
LW> having moved to Google Mail, put my address in his White List, and I got SPF for may domains.
LW>
LW> After that it worked like charm.

We don't have access to the list server to be able to inject (or
remove) headers as things stand.
Lüko Willms
2018-08-07 19:51:37 UTC
Hello everybody,

on Dienstag, 7. August 2018 at 19:00 Marck Pearlstone <***@silverstones.com> wrote
re The Bat! 8.5.8.3 (ALPHA)

Post by Marck Pearlstone
We don't have access to the list server to be able to inject (or
remove) headers as things stand.
SPF or Sender Policy Framework in full, is, as far as I understand, not something which the eMail client or mailing list processor has to included as some header field in outgoing messages. I just had to click something in the admin interface to my webspace and copy-n-past some text from somewhere else, following the instructions I had been given by the support people at the web space and email provider[1], and off it went.
For more information see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sender_Policy_Framework
Post by Marck Pearlstone
Sender Policy Framework (SPF) is an email validation protocol
designed to detect and block email spoofing by providing a mechanism to allow receiving mail exchangers
to verify that incoming mail from a domain comes from an IP Address authorized by that domain's administrators.
The list of authorized sending hosts and IP addresses for a domain
is published in the Domain Name System (DNS) records for that domain
in the form of a specially formatted TXT record.
Email spam and phishing often use forged "from" addresses and domains,
so publishing and checking SPF records can be considered
one of the most reliable and simple to use anti-spam techniques.
IETF publication RFC 7208 dated April 2014 defines Sender Policy Framework as "proposed standard".
Cheers,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt am Main
Germany

6 1 Windows 7
Marck Pearlstone
2018-08-07 20:01:25 UTC
On 07 August 2018 at 20:51 Lüko Willms wrote and made these points

... <snip>
Post by Marck Pearlstone
We don't have access to the list server to be able to inject (or
remove) headers as things stand.
... <snip>
LW> I just had to click something in the admin interface to
LW> my webspace and copy-n-past some text from somewhere else,
... <snip>

To clarify:

We don't have access to the list server to be able to inject (or
remove) ANY headers or settings to control anything like this as
things stand. All we have is a web interface to the listman
administration for the list and nothing else. Until we can re-host the
list, this is the situation. I have tried repeatedly to contact the
server admin in Germany, who donated use of the server for list
hosting years ago and no longer responds to emails.
Lüko Willms
2018-08-07 21:24:16 UTC
Hello everybody,

on Dienstag, 7. August 2018 at 22:01 Marck Pearlstone <***@silverstones.com> wrote
re The Bat! 8.5.8.3 (ALPHA)
Post by Marck Pearlstone
I have tried repeatedly to contact the
server admin in Germany, who donated use of the server for list
hosting years ago and no longer responds to emails.
Is that this one: https://csl.de/
?

Found via whois, and the phone number for the abuse contact...

Cheers,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt am Main
Germany

6 1 Windows 7
Marck Pearlstone
2018-08-07 22:05:30 UTC
On 07 August 2018 at 22:24 Lüko Willms wrote and made these points

Post by Marck Pearlstone
I have tried repeatedly to contact the
server admin in Germany, who donated use of the server for list
hosting years ago and no longer responds to emails.
LW> Is that this one: https://csl.de/

No. It's not a commercial server. It's at a German university that may
have IP addresses and rack mount servers leased from a commercial
company. Like I say - we don't have any access to that side of them.

LW> Found via whois, and the phone number for the abuse contact...

Thanks for looking. It's not going to help. Another list member, who
knows the university and has some contacts there, has contacted me off
list and may be able to help.
MAU
2018-08-07 18:07:14 UTC
Hello Marck,

Post by Marck Pearlstone
Could it be that you are one of the recipients affected by the
addressing issues that we tried to combat with the change to the list
configuration?
I don't know :-(
Post by Marck Pearlstone
Max's messages include a DKIM signature, which effectively marks list
traffic as spam, since the sending domain fails to match the domain
certified in the DKIM signature.
But if traffic is marked as spam, why his messages don't end up in my
Gmail account Spam folder?

Marck Pearlstone
2018-08-07 19:07:05 UTC
On 07 August 2018 at 19:07 MAU wrote and made these points
Post by Marck Pearlstone
Max's messages include a DKIM signature, which effectively marks list
traffic as spam, since the sending domain fails to match the domain
certified in the DKIM signature.
M> But if traffic is marked as spam, why his messages don't end up in my
M> Gmail account Spam folder?

In the case of a DKIM failure, some servers (Max tells me) actually
reject the message. That would mean that you wouldn't find it in a
spam folder.

White-listing thebat.dutaint.com may get round this.
MAU
2018-08-07 20:38:22 UTC
Hello Marck,
Post by Marck Pearlstone
White-listing thebat.dutaint.com may get round this.
OK, I think I did so. Will see next time Max sends a message,

Lüko Willms
2018-08-07 16:54:54 UTC
Guten Tag, MAU,
Post by MAU
Any idea why I have not received Maxim's message? I have looked in
Gmail's spam folder and it is not there.
Get the SENDER ***@thebat.dutaint.com in your white list on gmail.

For Dutaint.com -- does that have a SPF record? If not, get one. Maybe a separate one for thebat.dutaint.com

That solved the problem mailing to Google mail for me.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Lüko Willms
mailto:***@luekowillms.de
MAU
2018-08-07 18:15:56 UTC
Hello Lüko,
Post by MAU
Any idea why I have not received Maxim's message? I have looked in
Gmail's spam folder and it is not there.
I don't see any way of white listing. Anyway, if this was the problem,
why messages don't show in Spam folder.

http://www.silve
Lüko Willms
2018-08-07 19:51:05 UTC
Hello everybody,

on Dienstag, 7. August 2018 at 20:15 MAU <***@gmail.com> wrote
re The Bat! 8.5.8.3 (ALPHA)
Post by MAU
I don't see any way of white listing.
I don't either, since I have no accounts with Google mail. I avoid Google as much as I can.
But I did find some references for my USanian correspondent by googling...
Post by MAU
Anyway, if this was the problem, why messages don't show in Spam folder.
I don't know either.

Cheers,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt am Main
Germany

6 1 Windows 7
Curt Akin
2018-08-07 16:26:25 UTC
Hello Maxim,

U&R. Thank you!

--
Best regards,
Curt Akin
Richard Newman
2018-08-07 19:20:00 UTC
Hello Maxim,

Tuesday, August 7, 2018, 11:08:05 AM, you wrote:
MM> The Bat! 8.5.8.3 (ALPHA) is available at
MM> https://www.ritlabs.com/download/files3/the_bat/beta/tb8583-64.rar
U&R But did require reboot to copy new file over earlier version.
--
Best regards,
Richard mailto:***@newmangroup.com

Zygmunt Wereszczynski
2018-08-08 08:04:14 UTC
On Tuesday, August 7, 2018, at 18:08:05 [UTC+0300] (Tuesday, August 7, 2018
Post by Maxim Masiutin
The Bat! 8.5.8.3 (ALPHA) is available at
[...]
Post by Maxim Masiutin
[-] 0001505: Wrong encoding of two Polish characters
[...]

Confirmed, it is fixed.
--
Best regards,
Zygmunt Wereszczynski

Marck Pearlstone
2018-08-13 14:32:10 UTC
On 08 August 2018 at 09:04 Zygmunt Wereszczynski wrote and made these
points

... <snip>

ZW> Confirmed, it is fixed.

This was the last post on this list. As moderator, I have to give it a
probe to see if it still functioning after the latest configuration
issues. Apologies for the white noise.
Martin
2018-08-13 14:52:49 UTC
Hi
Post by Marck Pearlstone
This was the last post on this list. As moderator, I have to give it a
probe to see if it still functioning after the latest configuration
issues. Apologies for the white noise.
I read you loud and clear.
--
Best regards,
Martin

TheBat! 8.5.8 Pro (with OTFE) on Windows 7 6.1 7601 Service Pack 1

Thomas Fernandez
2018-08-13 14:57:52 UTC
Hello Marck,

Post by Marck Pearlstone
This was the last post on this list. As moderator, I have to give it a
probe to see if it still functioning after the latest configuration
issues. Apologies for the white noise.
Received.
--
Cheers,
Thomas.

under Windows 7 6.1 Build 7601 Service Pack 1

MAU
2018-08-14 08:22:07 UTC
Hello Marck,
Post by Marck Pearlstone
This was the last post on this list. As moderator, I have to give it a
probe to see if it still functioning after the latest configuration
issues. Apologies for the white noise.
I still don't get Maxim's messages to the list. If I want to see them,
I have to get them via Gmane.

However, there are other messages, like Martin's
<mid:***@postzone.org> that I don't get on
Gmane. Go figure!

Martin
2018-08-14 08:42:54 UTC
Hi The
Post by MAU
I still don't get Maxim's messages to the list. If I want to see them,
I have to get them via Gmane.
Over here no problem - got it from the list.
Post by MAU
However, there are other messages, like Martin's
Gmane. Go figure!
This is strange.
--
Best regards,
Martin

TheBat! 8.5.8.4 (BETA) Pro (with OTFE) on Windows 7 6.1 7601 Service Pack 1

MAU
2018-08-14 10:19:58 UTC
Hello Martin,
Post by Martin
Post by MAU
However, there are other messages, like Martin's
Gmane. Go figure!
This is strange.
It certainly is. I also did not get (on Gmane) the one I am replying
to now.
--

My photos at: http://mau.smugmug.com
My photoblog: http://mau.aminus3.com

Lüko Willms
2018-08-14 11:39:52 UTC
Hello everybody,

on Dienstag, 14. August 2018 at 10:42 Martin <***@postzone.org> wrote
re The Bat! 8.5.8.3 (ALPHA)
Post by MAU
However, there are other messages, like Martin's
Gmane. Go figure!
pts rule name description
---- ----------------------
-5.0 RCVD_IN_DNSWL_HI RBL: Sender listed at http://www.dnswl.org/, high
trust
[188.40.127.183 listed in list.dnswl.org]
0.1 DKIM_SIGNED Message has a DKIM or DK signature, not necessarily valid
-1.0 MAILING_LIST_MULTI Multiple indicators imply a widely-seen list
manager
0.0 T_DKIM_INVALID DKIM-Signature header exists but is not valid
Maybe this helps someone in the know to find the reason.

Cheers,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt am Main
Germany

6 1 Windows 7
Marck Pearlstone
2018-08-14 11:54:22 UTC
On 14 August 2018 at 12:39 Lüko Willms wrote and made these points

... <snip>
Post by Martin
... <snip>
Post by Martin
0.1 DKIM_SIGNED Message has a DKIM or DK signature, not necessarily valid
-1.0 MAILING_LIST_MULTI Multiple indicators imply a widely-seen list
manager
0.0 T_DKIM_INVALID DKIM-Signature header exists but is not valid
LW> Maybe this helps someone in the know to find the reason.

The DKIM invalidity is caused by the signature having been inserted at
RITlabs and not removed by the mail list server, thus no longer
matching the apparent originator (thebat.dutaint.com). Your mail
service doesn't score that failure highly (zero) and the message
passes through. Not all configurations are so forgiving.

It was to avoid this that we made the horrible change to the list
settings. Next month, we will be moving the lists to new servers at
RITlabs, over which we will have better control. Any control is better
than the 'none' we currently have.
--
Cheers -- Marck D Pearlstone -- List moderator and fellow end user
TB! v8.5.8.4 (BETA) on Windows 10.0.17134
Ethan J. Mings
2018-08-14 13:26:53 UTC
Hello Lüko,
Post by MAU
I still don't get Maxim's messages to the list. If I want to see them,
I have to get them via Gmane.
Confirmed. I am unable to see the mailings from Max.

I was able to get the latest beta from one of the messages here on the list.

I've installed it and works great.

However, I don't know what was included in the last beta. Could someone post
that information to the list.

Thank you,

Jerry
--
Best regards,
Ethan mailto:***@thedesk.ca

http://www.silverst
MAU
2018-08-14 15:21:12 UTC
,----- [ ]
`-----

Ethan J. Mings
2018-08-14 15:42:23 UTC
Hello MAU,
Post by MAU
Post by Ethan J. Mings
However, I don't know what was included in the last beta. Could someone post
that information to the list.
,----- [ ]
| [-] The Find Lost Folder command didn't work properly since The Bat!
version 8.2.4.1 released on January 25, 2018
| [-] (#0001487) The highlighted text gets lost after double editing the hyperlink
| [-] (#0001503) Shift+Ctrl+V pastes multiline as one line
| [-] Fixed match type "IS" for Sender and Recipients
| [-] (#0001491) Add an option to remove empty lines from the highlighted text. Show\Hide NonPrint Characters
`-----
Thank you!

I can confirm .4 is running well here.

Jerry